Friday, December 2, 2011

If she weighs the same as a duck...

Wim Wenders: "Sometimes I feel that only people who're able to be alone are also able to be with other people. And people who're not able to be alone are a burden in any relationship because they eat the other person up - because they need somebody, and that need can be a terrible thing."*

Which makes perfect sense.


If you're truly able to be alone, and if you didn't need someone, then why would you want to be with someone?** Inertia is the second law of motion, and you've hit the perfect stride. You shall remain immovably alone, and you wouldn't have it any other way. It's elementary, my dear reader.

Which leads us to,

The people who do get into relationships are the ones who've never really learnt to be alone.

And therefore,

Beneath the facade of every happy relationship, there are two cannibals eating each other up. And if they do learn to be alone, that's when they split up. Logically.

Now, if only I could be so collected and clinical when next my grandmother pesters me on the subject.

xxx

*From a coolly thought-provoking interview with him on the DVD of "Alice In The Cities."

**This might just be the underlying philosophy behind that laconic "by choice, man."

5 comments:

blankthinker said...

Depends on whether said grandmother even considers the Wenders bit as 'first principle' material. Highly unlikely...

Rohan said...

We live in hope. :)

Neha said...

I quite enjoyed reading your post! And, the mention of cannibalism made me laugh. So,I fondly remembered Neruda, and here's what it is :

I crave your mouth, your voice, your hair.
Silent and starving, I prowl through the streets.
Bread does not nourish me, dawn disrupts me, all day
I hunt for the liquid measure of your steps.

I hunger for your sleek laugh,
your hands the color of a savage harvest,
hunger for the pale stones of your fingernails,
I want to eat your skin like a whole almond.

I want to eat the sunbeam flaring in your lovely body,
the sovereign nose of your arrogant face,
I want to eat the fleeting shade of your lashes,

and I pace around hungry, sniffing the twilight,
hunting for you, for your hot heart,
like a puma in the barrens of Quitratue.

Rohan said...

My knowledge of Neruda starts and ends with Il Postino; so thanks for that. A regular Hannibal Lecter, eh?

Neha said...

ah, don't go so far to dismiss him like that. You should remember Neruda's efforts to help the poor Postman's love life :P you should keep his poetry close. ;)